Monday, February 4, 2008

Gordon B.

Our beloved leader and prophet Gordon B. Hinckley passed away last week at his home, surrounded by his family. President Hinckley was 97. For longer than Matt and I have both been alive, he has been in the leadership of our church. He is the prophet we grew up with, and I am so grateful for everything that I have learned from his inspired teachings and example. When Matt & I were engaged and waiting for my cancellation, we went to see the Testaments at the Joseph Smith Building, and nearly ran into him. I simply had to go shake his hand, and the spirit that I felt was so amazing. I really think that if I hadn't had that opportunity to meet him & feel that confirmation that he is the prophet, I would have struggled a bit more with the answer we got about being sealed. Like many others, I was surprised at my reaction to the news of his passing. Yes, I am sad and he will be missed terribly, but I was comforted to know that he has led the most incredible life and happy that he is now reunited with his loving wife. I have a testimony that President Hinckley led our church as a living prophet of the Lord and now continues his work on the other side of the veil. I know that President Monson will do a tremendous job as his successor. How grateful I am for membership in the true, restored gospel.

No comments: