Tuesday, July 1, 2008

PB&J Cupcakes (you can thank me later)

I am about to do something that I have never done before and probably never will do again. Give out a recipe. I spend a lot of time & money finding amazing recipes for my cakes and it's kinda my thing. I want to look like the amazing baker, not you. Total vanity & selfishness, but I'm okay with it. These, however are too good to keep to myself. Now keep in mind that if one day I gather up enough guts to open my own bakery and become world famous for my PB&J cupcakes, you are NOT allowed to sell this recipe or undercut me in any way, shape or form. Actually, it's not like I made them up myself, it's a compilation of recipes stolen from poor suckas who were generous enough to post their recipes online, so it only seems right to return the goodness to from whence it came: back to the Internet.

(not even kidding, they really are) Perfect Vanilla Cupcakes (from genius blogger/chef RaspberryEggplant)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
pinch o'salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temp.
1/4 c. regular sugar
1/4 c. turbinado sugar (don't be annoyed by the specialty sugar. Just get your lazy butt to Target & buy it. The rest of the recipe is so stinkin' simple. Quit complaining, it really does make a difference.)
1 egg, room temp.
1/2 c. milk, room temp.
1 tsp. vanilla

Sift the flour, baking powder & salt; set aside.
Cream the butter & sugars till light & fluffy, add egg & vanilla, mix. Alternately with the milk, add the sifted ingredients, scraping the bowl down after each addition. Bake in lined & sprayed baking cups at 350 for 17 minutes. Yield 9 regular sized cupcakes.

Fluffy Peanut Butter Frosting
1 stick butter, room temp
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons milk

Cream butters, add sugar, add milk till it reaches good piping or spreading consistency.

K, now, you take your cooled cupcakes, cut a cone out of the top of them, cut the pointy end off the cone, and fill that space with freezer jam. If you don't have freezer jam, I'm sorry. It won't work with regular jam. Go make some. (actually that just might be my personal bias. Freezer jam is in-freaking-credible. Feel free to use whatever jam floats your boat. I think I might try some with lemon curd one day just because my husband is a total nut-job & likes lemon & peanut butter together) Moving on. Now replace the left over top of your cupcake, and swirl on some of that good ol' peanut butter frosting. Add a little dab of jam on top and wha-la! How much do you love me?You will probably have a bit of left over peanut butter frosting. Poor you. Now you have to make brownies to use it up.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Ok I'm not a big penut butter in things fan but I know Dru is. So I'm totally gonna try it. Maybe I'll do it for Julyl 4th and try it out on his family. They're all harsh critic's.
I'll let ya know.
I love how honest you are in your blogs.

Kierstin said...

Holy crap... my kids would have a conniption fit if I made these for them! PB&J's are one of the favorites around these parts. You're a genius. By the way, I have to brag that I only have 2 weeks left!!!!! ha!