Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pre-K doctor visit

Last week I took Sawyer for her prekindergarten well child check. It was nice because Susie came up & watched Abram & let us have a little girl time together. Susie wanted me to ask about Sawyer always being on her tiptoes, she worries a lot but I'm super glad she said this because it turns out that this could be a problem. Sawyer's tendons are really tight back there on her ankles & she needs to cut out the tiptoeing. We are also doing stretches every morning & night. It's proving to be tough for Sawyer to break this habit, I think I've reinforced it by complimenting her on her awesome, strong legs all the time. Also apparently she's super knock-kneed. Jeez I wonder where she got that from? I've always hated my knees, and hers are a lot worse than mine, so I'd like to see what we can do. The weird thing is that she's knock-kneed but her toes always turn out instead of being pigeon toed like you'd think. So basically just picture that "a too day tah a too day tah a too day ta ta" song from girl's camp, and you've got an idea of what we're dealing with. hahaha not really, but it seems like it. We have a pediatric orthopedic consult on June 2nd to check out both issues. Kinda nervy about that.
Other than that, she's awesome, great vision & hearing & smart as a whip. She is 47 and a half inches tall & 52 pounds, which puts her in the 97th percentile for height & 92nd for weight.
But the best part about the appointment was the shots. Seriously. I hadn't told her that she'd be getting shots, but that morning in the bath, she was freaking out about me working her knots out of her hair, and I talked to her about how when we have to do something kind of painful, the only thing that makes it better is to relax & think about something else, something that makes you happy & really engages you. She turned it right around! Then at the doctors, after Dr. Strasser left, Sawyer asked if we could go now, and I told her that the nurses would be right in to give her some pokes. We talked about how lots of pioneers died from diseases that the pokes protect us from & how lucky we are to have modern medicine. Then I reminded her of how much it helped her to think of something else this morning in the tub. When the nurse came in she was ready. She was going to think of "books & rainbows" and hold a lego & be just fine. The nurse asked me to hold her arms down & I said I didn't think that would be necessary.
It was not.
I seriously don't think I've ever been more proud of her. She didn't make a peep. Grimaced a little, but didn't even cry while taking one in each thigh. That chic is a freaking rock star. After my experience with hypnobirthing & understanding a little bit of just how powerful our minds are, it was so rad to share this with my little girl & have her see that it really works.
Afterward we went to The Pizza Factory for lunch. Sawyer specifically requested to go there because of the breadtwists. No, not so much the breadtwists as the sticks they come on. She has had it in her head to make a kite & thought that those sticks would be perfect for this project. I love how her brain works. Her memory is soooo freakishly sharp and she's so dang creative. We had a great time together, I love to sit & listen to her stories & ideas & silly 5 year old jokes.

Also, on an unrelated note, you should know that if James Durbin doesn't win American Idol I will eat my shoe. I love his twitchy little faces too.

No comments: