Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Day 13

A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough times.

Alright, my first instinct here is to say 311, but I think its wrong. Yes, I've seen them in concert like 30 times & have been slightly obsessed with them since I first heard them in Kyle Kerr's truck after early morning swim practice in my sophomore year, but when I think about songs that really helped me out with stuff, it's Alkaline Trio every time.
When I kicked my ex-husband out my brother's best friend came & visited me at work (not an odd thing, we were all buddies back then) and brought me a mix tape. Yes, a tape. Cassette tape. Geez, how much is this aging me? We had CDs, you just couldn't really record on them at the time.
There was this one song on there called Radio. Radio is the single greatest bitter breakup song of all time. It really helped me stay angry through all of Jared's manipulative attempts at reconciliation, and I needed to stay angry. I held on to that anger like it was a life vest. Because it was. I won't share all of the lyrics with you here because they are naughty, but here's a bit of the chorus-

...in case you haven't heard I'm sick & tired of trying
I wish you would take my radio to bathe with you, plugged in & ready to fall...

yup. I wish you would get electrocuted in the tub. That's where I was. I'm so happy to say that I no longer wish such things upon anyone.

The Alkaline Trio also has a few delightful lovey songs, one of which I couldn't stop singing when I first started dating Matt. Clavicle is its name.

...I've been on top of the world since about six months ago, marking the first time I laid eyes on you. I lost all train of thought as I entered the room, saw what looked like really good food, then I saw you & so did you... I've been on top of the world since about one week ago, marking the time when I was drunk enough to talk to you. I lost all train of thought as your eyes met mine. told you I thought you were gorgeous, you gave me your phone number I gave you mine. Before you left I said that you can bet I'd be bothering you soon, you said no bother, please do. I called you twice, it's been a hellish fight not to think about you all the time, sitting around waiting for your call...

I really like them, their lyrics are clever, their music is intense & raw, not all polished & shiny.

Ever so fine print- Please note that this is not Primary President Celeste recommending that we all go out & buy their music, but rather post-personal-apocalypse Celeste saying that they really helped her through some rough times.

No comments: