Monday, January 24, 2011

I can die now.

The Airborne show this weekend was the single greatest concert I've ever been to. I can't even sum it up in words. I really liked them before, but I full on adore them now. The talent. Holy crow. Each member of the band can play multiple instruments AND sing. We're talking the violinist grabbing a tambourine then singing, then running over to the piano for a few. The bass guitar being played with a bow. (beautiful btw) Completely accapella harmonizing. It was ridiculous. You could tell that all the symphony musicians were loving it. At one point Mikel hopped up on the contuctor's stand & rocked out with him. There was this one viola player that couldn't get the smile off her face. Me either. My face hurt by intermission. I had goosebumps for like 2 hours straight.


(from our seats before we moved down front & center)
I'm so excited for their new album to come out in April. They played a few songs from it & they are just a vulnerable & raw & beautiful as the first album.


One song starts & ends with Mikel singing accapella and the lyrics are just so...like naked & haunting. Holy crow. To have to fullness of a symphony behind them just made their amazing music just so much bigger....GAH!!


Sorry to gush so much about something no one else but me probably gives a crap about, but I'm in my kitchen dancing my brains out to the live cd I bought & I can't stop thinking about it. Oh and guess what. That cd came with a DVD of a similar show they did at the Disney concert hall with a symphony, traditional Mexican dancers, and Mikel's high school marching band. (I can't wait to watch it) anyway if you bought that DVD you got to stay after the show for a meet & greet with the band! It was great to share in this awesome night with a band that thinks enough of their fans to make time to hug strangers & pose for pictures & sign things for a few hours. Unfortunately my Mrs. Photogenic crown will be revoked after I post these pictures, so don't look at me, like anyone would anyway, these are some beautiful musicians.


(apparently something was hilarious here. But Cyd & her first husband Noah look cute)



(sorry, I have no explanation for this face. I don't know. But isn't Mikel cute?)



(I seriously look like I'm about ready to shove him in my pocket & bolt, huh?)



(Anna. I want to be her when I grow up)
Sadly I got no pictures of the drummer or the pianist/guitarist/token Asian guy. We were getting a little bit claustrophobic & worried about taking the light rail back late at night, so we left. It was unbelievable. I'm so grateful to Matt for making it happen, I had given up hope, I just couldn't figure out how to make it work. I'm so grateful for a husband who, while he may not "get" my obsession with live music or most of my favorite bands, he gets me & he knows how important it is to me to still be me, even though I'm "just a mom" 90% of the time. I'm a lucky gal.

If I could, I'd buy stock in this band. This is the next single.

1 comment:

the Lola Letters said...

Eeeeeesh! I am so happy for you! That is GREAT. I know how much you love that band so that's fantastic that you actually got to meet them!

You look great.
A little like you might take a bite out of Mikel...but great nonetheless ;)